How to make the perfect easy mince pies
2 min read
This festive season treat your friends, family and colleagues to a delicious homemade mince pie!
This is easily one of our favourite festive recipes – it’s classic, easy to make and there’s no rolling required. So, get yourself down to Sainsbury's to stock up on ingredients, get warm and start baking – but make sure to take lots of photos and let us know how you get on!
- 225g cold butter (diced)
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- 1 small egg
- A pinch of salt
- Icing sugar to dust
- To make the pastry, add 225g cold butter (diced) into a bowl with 350g plain flour, then mix in 100g golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Shape the dough into a ball (but don’t add liquid!) and knead it. You can either use the dough straight away or keep it chilled for later.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6/180C Fan. Line a 12-hole shallow bun tin by pressing small, walnut-sized balls of pastry into each. If you have a spare tin, line this too as there should be enough mixture for up to 18 pies!
- Spoon 280g mincemeat into the pies.
- Take slightly smaller balls of pastry than earlier, and pat these out between your hands to make round pie lids, make sure they’re big enough to cover the pies.
- Cover the pies with the lids and press the edges together to seal. They’ll stick on their own so there’s no need to add anything extra!
- Beat 1 egg and use this to lightly brush the tops of the pies.
- It’s baking time! Bake the pies for 20 mins or until crisp and golden.
- Leave the pies to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack.
- To serve, lightly dust the pies with icing sugar. They will last 3-4 days.
- Time for the best bit – enjoy the pies with a nice glass of mulled wine on the side!
What’s your favourite Christmas treat? Let us know!
Recipe from Good Food magazine