Why you should be upgrading to Umbraco 10
3 min read
Nothing lasts forever, and the same goes for your CMS.
With Umbraco v7 fast approaching End of Life (September 2023), take this blog as a gentle reminder that this version will no longer be supported after that date – and it might be time you think about an upgrade to ensure your Umbraco website continues to be secure and performant.
Upgrading from v7 (or even v8) to the newest version, Umbraco 10, can be an involved process, so it’s best to get cracking as soon as possible.
As certified Umbraco Gold Partners, we’d be more than happy to help you with your upgrade!
What does ‘End of Life’ mean?
Basically, end of life (EOL) means that the software will no longer be supported by the Umbraco development team after the above date. There won’t be any more releases or patches, and any bugs or security issues will no longer be fixed. Technically, you can still use Umbraco 7 after September (your website won’t just disappear), but this could mean running into potential problems down the road such as lack of security or outdated features – so do so at your own risk!
Why should we upgrade to Umbraco 10?
Umbraco 10 is the next major release for Umbraco and promises to be its best version yet. By choosing to stay on v7, you won’t get to work with the fastest, most reliable, and up-to-date version of Umbraco and you’ll be missing out on a bunch of exciting new features, including:
- An Enhanced Developer Experience: Upgrading the code base to use .NET 6 will bring more quality of life and better performance amongst others to C# development. This means developers have a fully up-to-date environment to work in.
- Improvements All-Round: Updates to the libraries used to manage database connections will allow for a more open platform when using hosting environments that aren’t Windows-based.
- Nullable Reference Types: Prior to C# 8.0, all reference types were nullable. With v10 it should be clearer when to expect null and not from the C# APIs.
- Better Performance: Updates to the image processing library will allow performance enhancements and support for encoding and decoding the WebP file format. This will enable high-quality images with reduced file sizes.
- The Fastest Umbraco yet: With the huge increase in performance (better load times on slower connections) there’s never been a better time to start with Umbraco.
In a nutshell, upgrading to Umbraco 10 is the final step in updating the underlying .NET framework used by the CMS. Other future improvements look to include the implementation of a DXP which will allow developers to integrate with third-party systems a little easier.
When should we upgrade to Umbraco 10?
Umbraco recommends always keeping your software up-to-date and on the newest version.
The longer you leave it to upgrade, the pricier it gets, and the more difficult a task it becomes. Therefore, we’d strongly recommend you complete your upgrade well before the cut-off date of September 2023!
How do we upgrade to Umbraco 10?
If you’re an existing Cantarus client, please contact your assigned Relationship Manager who will be able to advise you on the next steps.
If you would like some advice on your current Umbraco website, but you are not an existing Cantarus client, please contact us via [email protected] or via our Live Chat function on this page.
We can run an audit on your website to determine the best approach for an upgrade and how much time, effort and investment might be required.
Follow Cantarus on LinkedIn to access more content on best practices for digital success.